Shut the PSU program down?
Posted on: July 15, 2012 at 14:58:12 CT
A reprehensible thing was allowed to take place on the campus of Penn State. The leadership allowed it to take place for years after it was first brought to their attention. Should the people in charge be punished? Hell yes! Should they go to jail? Hell yes! Should reputations (re: Paterno) be forever tarnished? HELL YES! Should PSU be given the "death penalty"? No.
The feeling is to give PSU the death penalty. I think that might be a knee jerk reaction to situation. Here is what I feel should be done.
1. Let them keep playing football. The players on the team, the students, the alumni, and the fans did nothing wrong although it could be argued that some were at least a little morally bankrupt in their blind alegiance to Paterno and his program. (As a sidenote... can you imagine the "welcome" the "PSU team" will get at every away game?)
2. Let PSU football be on television but DO NOT allow any rights fees be paid to PSU for their tier 1-3 rights for football this year and next. (Maybe more but 2 years is a start) NO PAY PER VIEW allowed for any PSU FB games for these next 2 years. All potential conference monies earned for any sport for the 2012-13 academic year are forfeited. (Donated to child abuse programs in PA) Money and pride is what created the coverup.
3. Inelegible for a bowl or the B1G championship game for 2012-3.
4. Strip the pensions of the "4" and donate that to child welfare programs in PA. (This might not be plausible but think of the implications IF you could do that. Maybe it would make people think twice about doing something illegal and/or unethical.)
5. Keep the statue up as a reminder of how reprehensible the actions of the "4" were and how in the grand scheme of things, sport is just that....a sport to be enjoyed as a diversion from all the important things in life.
When it is all said and done, shutting PSU football down is unrealistic. What can be done is cut off the money that drove the engine for a while. If the boosters want to ante up the extra cash then so be it, that is their choice and I think it would speak volumes as to their priorities at PSU. Sorry if too long but just my thoughts.