I probably have the timing all screwed up, but here goes...
Posted on: April 27, 2012 at 21:36:42 CT
1. Luck family is close to Manning family as well as Irsay. Manning knows he is injured and will miss the next year recuperating from surgery.
2. Luck chooses to go back to Stanford when he is assured of the first pick in the 2011 draft as a junior. His draft status cant get any higher yet he goes back to school costing himself money due to the pending new CBA. Did the Colts already know about the Manning situation? I think his injury was reported before the draft season approached. Did Manning and Irsay already have an out clause planned? Peyton knew that the Colts team's window was closed, so why not get a new deal elsewhere in his few remaining years with another shot at a title, while Irsay gets the Colts back on track with the next "big thing".
3. Luck's only job is to not get hurt in his senior year. Have fun and play hard, but don't get hurt. His numbers are wayyy down but they still get a great bowl game etc. RGIII gets the Heisman as a result, but Irsay gets his man.
4. Irsay makes sure that the Colts lose in 2011, fielding a reject team.
5. What does Luck get from the deal? Assurances and possibly payments from Irsay.
If Luck comes out in 2011, he goes #1 to the Panthers and Cam Newton slides to the next spot. The Colts didn't draft until #22 last year. With the old CBA in place, the price to move up the first spot would have been insurmountable. (UNlike this year where teams are jumping all over the place). The only way to get Luck was to pay him to stay in school and then make sure that you draft first in the next years draft.
I am probably all wet and I have absolutely no proof to support the allegations but this could have been all collusion by the Irsay, Manning, Luck families to tilt the table in their favors. Manning gets the limelight of free agency, while little brother gets the mainstage of the super bowl. Irsay gets his QB of the future at a lower price. Luck gets an early payoff and the dream of creating the same winning atmosphere as enjoyed by Manning.
I dont know, it just seemed choreographed...